International
Mohammed Hamoud/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

U.S. drone strike kills New Zealander, Australian in Yemen

New Zealand PM describes strike that killed men allegedly associated with Al-Qaeda as ‘legitimate’

New Zealand and Australia were drawn into the global debate on drone strikes Wednesday after confirming that a citizen from each country had been killed in U.S. strikes in Yemen.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key said the men were killed along with three known Al-Qaeda operatives during a drone strike in November. The New Zealander had attended a rebel training camp and was under surveillance by intelligence agencies, Key said.

He added that drone strikes by the United States were justified in some circumstances.

"I think they are legitimate, at certain times, where countries are trying to contend with very dangerous situations and they are trying to deal with those terrorists without putting their own people in harm's way," he said.

Key said he thought the November strike was such a justified occasion: "I suspect so, yes, given that three of the people killed were well-known Al-Qaeda operatives."

U.S. drone strikes against suspected “terrorists” have been slammed by rights groups because they don't allow for a trial and can kill innocent bystanders. Al Jazeera reported in March that friends and family of U.S. drone-strike victims in Yemen launched a union with the help of the London-based legal charity Reprieve to represent affected communities.

A federal judge this month dismissed a lawsuit against Obama administration officials for the 2011 drone-strike killings of three U.S. citizens in Yemen, including an Al-Qaeda cleric.

The newspaper The Australian first reported the deaths. The newspaper said Wednesday the men were killed Nov. 19 during a Predator drone strike on rebels traveling in a convoy of cars in Yemen's eastern region of Hadramout. It said the men were part of Yemen's Al-Qaeda branch, also called Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

The newspaper identified the Australian as Christopher Harvard of Townsville.

Harvard's stepfather, Neil Dowrick, told the newspaper he received a government letter indicating his stepson had been buried in Yemen.

"From what we understand, Chris was buried on Friday," Dowrick said.

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said the men were killed during a "counterterrorism operation," but did not give further details.

"There was no Australian involvement in, or prior awareness of, the operation," the department said in a statement Wednesday.

Key said it took some time to positively identify the New Zealander using DNA samples. He said officials wouldn't be naming the man, but that he was known as "Muslim bin John." Key said he understands that bin John, who was also an Australian national, was buried in Yemen.

He said bin John had been the subject of a New Zealand intelligence warrant, a document that authorizes agencies to spy on an individual.

"I think all that shows is the things that I have been saying for quite some time — that we need our intelligence agencies to track our people, that there are New Zealanders who go and put themselves in harm's way — have all been proven to be correct," Key said.

Al Jazeera and The Associated Press

Find Al Jazeera America on your TV

Get email updates from Al Jazeera America

Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Get email updates from Al Jazeera America

Sign up for our weekly newsletter