FIFA banned former German captain Franz Beckenbauer from all football activities for 90 days on Friday over noncooperation with an investigation into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bid.
"Franz Beckenbauer was today provisionally banned from taking part in any football-related activity, at any level, for 90 days," said a statement released by world soccer's governing body.
The 68-year-old Beckenbauer, who won the World Cup as a player in 1974 and as a coach in 1990, was on the FIFA executive board in 2010 when the 2022 tournament was awarded to Qatar. He has always refused to declare who he voted for, but has expressed surprise at Qatar's victory.
Beckenbauer left the FIFA executive committee in 2011 but remains on FIFA's football committee.
The world body said the suspension was requested by ethics prosecutor Michael Garcia. It makes Beckenbauer the first person to be punished as a result of the investigation into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bid contests.
Beckenbauer refused "repeated requests for his assistance, including requests that he provide information during an in-person interview or in response to written questions provided in both English and German," FIFA said in a statement.
It was unclear whether the FIFA suspension would prevent Beckenbauer from attending the tournament in Brazil, which kicked off on Thursday.
Beckenbauer acknowledged last week that he rejected two attempts by Garcia to speak with him.
Garcia, a former U.S. attorney, has said he will deliver a dossier on the case next month.
Beckenbauer still holds top-level positions in world soccer. He served on FIFA's board from 2007 to 2011 after leading the organization of the 2006 World Cup in Germany.
Beckenbauer was named in reports this past weekend by The Sunday Times, which has alleged widespread corruption linked to Qatari official Mohamed bin Hammam and the 2022 bidding campaign.
The newspaper said Beckenbauer took paid consultancies in 2011 with German firms seeking contracts for World Cup–related projects in the gas-rich emirate.
As with most FIFA board members, Beckenbauer has not publicly revealed who he voted for.
FIFA President Sepp Blatter has previously said German and French business and political interests influenced the FIFA vote.
The Qatar organizing committee has vehemently denied the Sunday Times allegations, saying in a statement it "always upheld the highest standards of ethics and integrity in its successful bid."
The Associated Press