The Paris prosecutor announced Saturday that 129 people were killed and 352 injured, including 99 critically, in coordinated attacks on the city Friday night that French President François Hollande called an “act of war.”
Prosecutor François Molins said Saturday that the attackers worked in three coordinated teams, and that the seven who blew themselves up wore identical explosives vests.
The spokeswoman for the Paris prosecutor's office says members of one of the attackers' family — a Frenchman born in the Paris suburbs — have been detained.
Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre declined to say specify who was detained but said there were searches underway.
Hollande declared three days of mourning after the assault and raised the country’s threat level to its highest. He blamed the carnage on “a terrorist army, the Islamic State group, a jihadist army,” which carried out attacks not only against France but also “against the values that we defend, everywhere in the world, against what we are: a free country that means something to the whole planet.”
ISIL has claimed responsibility for the assault. In a statement, the group said its fighters, armed with suicide-bomb belts and machine guns, carried out the attacks at locations that were carefully studied. The assault was designed to show France that it would remain a top target for the group as long as it continues its current polices, the statement continued.
Belgium on Saturday made several arrests linked to the attacks in Paris. The country’s justice minister told the VRT network that the arrests came after a car with Belgian license plates was seen close to the Bataclan concert hall in Paris on Friday night, one of the attack sites. He said it was a rental vehicle and that police organized several raids in a neighborhood in Brussels on Saturday.
Additionally, two French police officials say that authorities have identified one of the suicide bombers in the attacks as a young Frenchman who had been flagged by security officials. The police said he was among the attackers who blew themselves up after the rampage and hostage taking at the Bataclan.
Police officials also said that at least one of the suicide bombers who targeted another site, France’s national stadium, was found to have a Syrian passport.
The search continued Saturday for possible accomplices of the eight known assailants who terrorized Paris concertgoers, cafe diners and soccer fans the night before with the coordinated suicide bombings and shootings. None of the attackers have been publicly identified.
It also emerged Saturday that an American college student, Nohemi Gonzalez, 23, was among those killed. She was enrolled at California State University at Long Beach, a spokesman for the university said. A senior, she was studying for a semester at the Strate College of Design in France, according to school authorities.
French authorities have closed the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre Museum and other top tourist sites in Paris until further notice.
Friday’s violence, which occurred 11 months after gunmen linked to Al-Qaeda carried out a deadly attack on the offices of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, was the worst atrocity to strike the French capital in recent memory.
Three suicide bombers targeted a bar area near the Stade de France, in St.-Denis, north of Paris, during a soccer match, attended by Hollande, as gunmen attacked audience members at the Bataclan. There were also shootings and explosions near restaurants and bars in the city’s 10th and 11th arrondissements, near the center of the city.
Eyewitnesses told Al Jazeera that some attackers shouted “Allahu Akbar,” Arabic for “God is great,” during the carnage.