Todd Melby / Reuters

Man shot by Minneapolis police dies: report

Jamar Clark, who was fatally shot by police over the weekend, was unarmed and handcuffed, protesters say

A 24-year-old black man, said to be unarmed, who was shot by Minneapolis police on Sunday, has died, a local television station reported on Tuesday, citing his brother.

Community activists have identified the deceased as Jamar Clark and said he was unarmed. Police said he was not handcuffed when he was shot, but activists dispute that and say he was shot in the head.

Relatives of the dead man could not be reached immediately, and Minneapolis officials have declined to confirm his death. 

Minneapolis activists are demanding an independent investigation into the shooting of Jamar Clark.

Clark's death has sparked protests and dozens of arrests. The deaths of unarmed black men and women by police in the United States over the past year have fueled protests nationwide and rekindled a national civil rights movement under the banner Black Lives Matter.

Clark was taken off life support on Monday night, a reporter with KARE television said on Twitter. Reuters was unable to confirm the report. Officials had said on Monday the suspect's condition was "unchanged."

Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges said on Monday she had requested a federal civil rights investigation into the shooting, which has set off protests.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension was continuing its own investigation and will hand over the results to prosecutors.

Activists blocked the entrance of a police precinct following the shooting and briefly blocked an interstate highway late Monday, demanding that authorities release video of the incident.

At least 50 people were arrested after blocking a section of Interstate 94 that runs through Minneapolis during a protest over Clark's shooting, police said.

Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau, who spoke at a news conference with Mayor Hodges on Monday, said they were not yet releasing the names of two police officers involved in the incident.

Police said at about 12:45 a.m. CST on Sunday, they responded to a report of an assault and shot a suspect during a struggle after the person interfered with paramedics on the scene.

The suspect was not in handcuffs during the struggle with police and was taken by ambulance to Hennepin County Medical Center, police said.

Witnesses said Clark was handcuffed when he was shot in the head and his body was removed quickly from the scene, according to Black Lives Matter Minneapolis.

The Minneapolis National Association for the Advancement of Colored People said Clark "was murdered, execution style" by police.


Find Al Jazeera America on your TV

Get email updates from Al Jazeera America

Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Get email updates from Al Jazeera America

Sign up for our weekly newsletter