South Africa's government has vowed to crack down on xenophobic violence, after arresting more than 300 people for a range of crimes against migrants.
Authorities said on Sunday that 307 suspects had been arrested in Johannesburg for a range of xenophobic-related crimes.
Security agencies have also increased the police presence after at least eight deaths in anti-immigrant violence in the past week.
"They have actually pushed other people to leave their own comfort zones, their homes," said David Mahlobo, the minister of state security.
With unemployment and poverty levels high in South Africa, immigrants are accused by some of taking away jobs. Local people began to burn and loot foreign-owned shops earlier this year, while violence reignited in recent weeks after the Zulu monarch, King Goodwill Zwelithini, said immigrants should "take their bags and go."
More than 1,000 people have been displaced after violence against foreign nationals flared up on March 30 in the country's coastal province of KwaZulu-Natal, whose capital is Durban.
The attacks soon spread inland to the country's financial hub, Johannesburg, in Gauteng province.
On Saturday, another two people were reported killed, bringing the death toll in the latest wave of attacks to eight, South African police said.
By Sunday, an uneasy calm prevailed in Johannesburg. Lieutenant Colonel Lungelo Dlamini told Al Jazeera that no violent incidents occurred overnight or on Sunday.
"There are enough officers deployed and the situation has been stabilized," he said.
The last time xenophobic violence in South Africa escalated to such heights was in 2008, when at least 60 people were killed and scores more injured.
Al Jazeera with wire services