The browser or device you are using is out of date. It has known security flaws and a limited feature set. You will not see all the features of some websites. Please update your browser. A list of the most popular browsers can be found below.
Al Jazeera America Kicks Off “America Votes 2014,” Comprehensive, Issue-Driven Mid-Term Political Coverage Commencing Monday, October 6 Through Election Night
New Three-Part Documentary “Midterms,” From Director AJ Schnack (“Caucus”) Chronicles Political Races in Three Swing States Iowa, Colorado and North Carolina October 19, October 26 and November 2
NEW YORK, October 6, 2014 - Al Jazeera America presents “America Votes 2014,” in-depth, comprehensive mid-term political coverage centering on key issues that deeply affect the lives of Americans, from Monday, October 6 through Election Day. Al Jazeera America won’t cover the horserace, but will examine the issues…not the campaign rhetoric. “America Votes 2014" will address defining issues such as: jobs and wages, immigration, ISIL and war, education, affordable care act, climate change and federal government, among others, while also looking at the campaigns and posing the important questions - Are candidates really speaking to these issues? And if not, why? For more information on “America Votes 2014” please visit: http://aljazeera.com/americavotes2014
“Al Jazeera America’s election coverage will focus on the issues that matter to our viewers, not the political horserace,” said Kate O’Brian, President of Al Jazeera America. “Our team is reporting from around the country -- talking to voters and experts about the issues that will have an impact on American’s lives.”
“America Votes 2014” will include the following programming:
· On Monday, Oct. 6, in the 8pm news hour with John Seigenthaler, the network will debut “America Votes: Fed Up In Kentucky” a series of daily reports from correspondent Libby Casey and producer Phil Maravilla. “America Votes: Five Days in Kentucky” will encore throughout news hours the next day and will also air as part of a special hour-long “America Votes: Five Days in Kentucky” Friday, Oct 10 at 8:30 pm and 11pm.
· Beginning Tuesday, Oct. 7, the network presents “Power Politics,” a daily series featuring pre-mid-term segments that examine the issues in the 4pm, 6pm, 8pm and 11pm news hours.
· Beginning Tuesday, Oct. 7 in the 6pm news hour with Tony Harris, the network will air “Deep Dive,” a new daily segment that takes an in-depth look at specific issues around the country. Harris and a team of correspondents (both TV and web) along with special guests will look at the issues thru the lens of politics.
· Beginning Tuesday, Oct. 7, Al Jazeera America will air a half-hour “Midterms” documentary special every Tuesday at 8:30pm.
· Every weekend through Nov. 8, the network will air a half-hour “Power Politics” special.
· Tuesday, Oct. 28, Al Jazeera America will air a two-hour, issue-oriented pre-midterms special.
· On Nov. 4, Election Day, Al Jazeera America’s programs will focus on issues and candidates and races and how outcomes could affect these key issues. The network will broadcast election returns and results in prime time.
In addition, Al Jazeera America will debut Midterms, a weekly, three-episode documentary series about the upcoming 2014 American elections and some of the most hotly contested political races in the country on Sunday, October 19th, Sunday, October 26th and Sunday, November 2nd at 9pm ET/6pm PT.
Chronicling four bellwether races in three swing states – Iowa, Colorado and North Carolina --Midterms is a portrait of the campaigns, issues and individuals in the year’s most heated political races. AJ Schnack, who directed the 2013 film “Caucus” about the 2011-12 Republican race in the Iowa Caucus, gained unprecedented access to the candidates and their staffs, going inside races that have the potential for political upsets that could predict the national mood come November 2014. An up-close, unbiased examination of U.S. politics, Midterms shows the personal and human side of running for office and the issues that may define the 2014 national elections, including health care, immigration and government spending in Washington.
Al Jazeera America’s documentary unit brings critically-acclaimed, long-form storytelling to audiences on Sunday evenings as part of the “Al Jazeera America Presents” strand. Previously aired documentaries Borderland, a four-part documentary series on immigration; The System with Joe Berlinger, an eight-episode series by the Oscar-nominated filmmaker Joe Berlinger that explores the criminal justice system in the United States, and Edge of Eighteen by Academy Award-winning director Alex Gibney.
Al Jazeera America is available in more than 60 million homes in the U.S. on Comcast, Time Warner Cable, DirecTV Channel 347, Dish Network Channel 215, Verizon FiOS Channel 614 and AT&T U-Verse Channel 1219. To find Al Jazeera America in your area, visit www.aljazeera.com/getajam.
About Al Jazeera America
Al Jazeera America is the new U.S. news channel that provides both domestic and international news for American audiences. It is headquartered in New York City with bureaus in 12 cities across the United States.
Visit Al Jazeera America online at http://www.aljazeera.com/america for the latest updates.You can also like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/aljazeeraamerica, follow us on Twitter @AJAM (www.twitter.com/ajam) and join the conversation using #AlJazeeraAmerica.
For more information, please contact:
Jodi Davis, 212-273-4916, Jodi.email@example.com